JIH Vice-President Prof. Salim Engineer visits Wardha Ashram to promote communal amity, brotherhood

0
70

By Anwarulhaq Baig

Sevagram(Maharashtra) — Jamaat-e-Islami Hind (JIH) Vice President Prof. Mohammad Salim Engineer recently visited Gandhiji’s Ashram here in Wardha district to promote communal amity and brotherhood. Mahatma Gandhi resided here from 1936 until his death in 1948.

During his visit, Prof. Salim addressed a communal harmony meet organized by the local JIH unit at the Sevagram Ashram, echoing Gandhi’s message of peace and interfaith understanding at a time when the nation is grappled with hate and divisions.

Addressing a diverse audience, including prominent local figures from different religions, Prof. Salim denounced the increasing tide of hatred and discrimination against religious minorities. He urged religious and political leaders to actively promote communal amity and brotherhood, emphasizing that it should be the highest priority for all citizens, reminding everyone of the values preached by Gandhiji.

After the public programme, Prof. Salim engaged in crucial meetings with key officials of the Sevagram Ashram, including Secretary Vijay Tambe and Director of Magan Sangrahlaya, Khadi Udyog, Dr. Vibha Gupta. These discussions focused on practical steps and collaborative initiatives that JIH and the ashram could undertake to nurture brotherhood and combat contemporary challenges to social harmony. After the Ashram visit, the JIH leader also addressed mediapersons in Wardha.

JIH Maharashtra Secretary Syed Rafiq Parner and local JIH President Niyaz Ali accompanied Prof. Salim during his visit. “Hate speech, communal polarization, and targeted violence against religious minorities are making our country unsafe for everyone,” Prof. Salim told media persons.

Sevagram Ashram, the former home of Mahatma Gandhi, serves as a symbol of non-violence, social justice, and communal harmony. Sevagram, a small village once known as Shegaon, is located about 8 kilometers from Wardha and about 75 km from Nagpur. Gandhiji established an ashram on the village outskirts, which became a hub for India’s freedom struggle. Donated by his disciple, Seth Jamnalal Bajaj of Wardha, Sevagram Ashram housed his mud hut, prayer hall, farms, and workshops. From there, Gandhiji led several satyagrahas, including the Dandi March. Today, the ashram stands as a museum and memorial, attracting visitors worldwide.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here