NEW DELHI—Strongly condemning the Israeli aggression and brutal attacks on Al-Aqsa Mosque, Jerusalem, Gaza, and other places in Palestine, Indian Muslim leaders have urged the Government of India to use its good offices to ask Israel to immediately halt attacks on Palestinian people.
In a joint statement issued on Thursday, Muslim leaders said that the Israeli attack “is part of Israel’s terrorist tactics to evacuate Palestinian territories through violent acts and resettle Jewish migrants there in clear violation of international law.”
The Israeli assault that began on May 7 at Al Aqsa and then on Palestinian territories on May 10, is still continuing. “An unjust and cruel campaign is currently underway to evacuate the Sheikh Jarrah area of Jerusalem, and for this, civilians, including children, the elderly, and women, are being subjected to severe atrocities on a large scale. The forcible eviction of Palestinians is a violation of all principles of human rights,” the statement said.
“The way Israel went ahead and stormed the Al-Aqsa Mosque and tried to brutalize worshippers and set fire to the compound, has caused great anguish and pain to Muslims around the world. Al-Aqsa Mosque is the third holiest place for Muslims. Our religious sentiments are connected with this place. The whole civilized world should strongly condemn this act of oppression and barbarism in this holy place and take action against Israeli aggression”, the Muslim leaders said.
Muslim leaders further said, “Now a vicious attempt is being made to make the situation more explosive through aggressive airstrikes on Gaza. All of Israel’s actions are a clear departure from UN resolutions and the position of the international community. This proves once again that Israel does not care about the sentiments of the civilized world and the global position. In the current epidemic, these barbaric acts of Israel for its nefarious and illegal expansionist plan are a serious crime against all of humanity.”
Muslim leaders demand:
- The international community and the United Nations must play their part in stopping this aggression and not simply be limited to passing resolutions and statements but take concrete action to stop Israel.
- We call on the International Court of Justice, human rights organizations, all justice-loving countries around the world, NGOs, and influential people to come forward and put strong global pressure on Israel to end this oppression and barbarism.
- We call on the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) and the Muslim and Arab countries not to be content with mere statements but to take concrete action against Israel to ensure that it refrains from such actions. They must exercise their influence to prevent further oppression of the Palestinians.
- We also urge Government of India, while respecting our country’s long-standing foreign policy and its long-standing commitment to the Palestinian people and the Palestinian cause, to support the oppressed Palestinian people and pressure Israel to abdicate its aggressive behavior.
- We express solidarity with the oppressed Palestinians on behalf of the Indian people and Indian Muslims. We pay tribute to their courage and perseverance and pray for their victory.
- We appeal to the scholars and Imams to make Muslims aware of the importance of Al-Aqsa Mosque and Israeli barbarism on Eid-ul-Fitr and similar occasions.
Maulana Khalid Saifullah Rahmani, Acting General Secretary, All India Muslim Personal Law Board.
Maulana Mahmood Madani, General Secretary of Jamiat Ulema-i-Hind.
Mr. Syed Saadatullah Hussaini, Ameer, Jamaat-e-Islami Hind.
Maulana Muhammad Sufyan Qasmi, Mohtamim of Darul Uloom Waqf, Deoband.
Maulana Khalil-ur-Rehman Sajjad Nomani, Director, Imam Shah Waliullah Academy.
Dr. Manzoor Alam, General Secretary, All India Milli Council of India.